Susan G. Komen
Two years ago, I started my breast cancer journey when I was diagnosed with stage 2B cancer. It wasn’t metastatic or anything but 12 surgeries, chemo and losing my hair and strength later, I can honestly say, I’ve come out on the other end healthy … No thanks to Susan G. Komen Foundation.
You hear everywhere that Susan G. Komen supports breast cancer research and they’re fighting for the cure. Hogwash. They’re supposed to be fighting to help women with cancer to get diagnosed and treated, as well as researching metastatic cancer, where a cure would have the most impact. Instead, they’re spending their money on PACs and organizations that have little to do with things that matter to breast cancer survivors, like partnering with handgun sellers.
I was fortunate enough to have health insurance that paid for about 80% of my treatment. I’m still working on paying off the other 20%. Nevertheless, I’m luckier than a lot of women in the same position, namely the ones who rely on most of their medical care through Planned Parenthood. Regardless of the political issues surrounding Planned Parenthood, they do provide much needed medical care for impoverished women; sometimes, the only doctors low-income women see are those at Planned Parenthood. So having those no or low-cost mammograms there were critical.
Komen has done nothing for me in my journey, despite several requests for counseling help to deal with the aftermath. They’re right on the spot, though, when they need volunteers, money or a cancer survivor to trot out when they’re in front of the press.
Sorry, Susan G. You lost my faith a long time ago. The latest shenanigans just confirm that decision.